Monday 8 October 2012

MEER OF MIN 'n MEERMIN (More or less a mermaid) MVNP Studio Shoot, Strand / Somerset West


Meer of Min 'n Meermin / More or less a Mermaid 
Photographer: Martin Van Niekerk
Model: Ester
Hair stylist / Stylist: Rene Erwee
MUA: Candice Harker

Earlier this year I did a shoot for Ester who wanted to enter the Sarie Voorbladgesig van die Jaar competition. It was her first time in front of the camera but she showed such poise. So when hair stylist, Rene Erwee of Salon Elan mentioned doing a shoot depicting a mermaid, I immediately thought of Ester. Of course it helped that she has beautiful long hair. 

But how to go about transforming her into a mermaid?

For a long time now I have been thinking of incorporating different art media such as drawings and paper cut-outs into my photographs. Previously Rene and I had played around with using paper garments and we were very happy with the outcome. So we decided to take the idea further. Not only were we going to use paper to sculpt the fish tail, we wanted to create an entire paper ‘world’ for the mermaid.

Although the size of my studio is adequate for standard shoots, creating a life size seascape scene in there is impossible.

Downscaling, that was the solution. I decided to build a small scale stage.

As a student at art school I had often used the Noddy and Big Ears toy theatre I had been given as a child, as inspiration for works of art. I could resurrect that idea in the studio this time.

I decided to start with Ester in the studio and then creating the backdrop and photographing that. The two images then had to be merged using computer editing programmes.

It was no easy feat but in the end I am very happy with the outcome.

This post tells the story of the Meer of Min ‘n Meermin shoot.



Rene and I cutting a piece of backdrop paper to use as the mermaid's fish tail


Multi talented: Rene helps sculpt the mermaid fish tail in between styling Ester's hair for the shoot 


Mermaid with hair curlers: Ester's transformation and marathon sitting session has begun


And still she sits patiently ...



Rene was also responsible for creating the mermaid's seaweed and shell 'jewellery'.  


Ready to roll 


Designer Ronel Van Heerden of NineNinetyNine dropped in for coffee and ended up doing some art directing.



With the shoot over, it s time to construct the backdrop. 


All set up.


The theatre has been constructed, lights have been set up and Ester's 'stand-in' sitting on the rock has been positioned.  

No comments: